Wednesday, October 5, 2011

7 Year Reminder

I love this photo. Love it. Very much. It has been in a green frame in my bathroom for the last 7 years. It is something I don't get tired of looking at. It was taken in the hospital right after Emily, our first child, was born. It was in the hallway as the group was seeing her for the first time through the nursery glass. I love the expressions of genuine joy on everyone's face. I love that it has both her aunt & uncle in it. I love that Joel is right dead center still in his c-section approved daddy get up.

It is a symbol to me. That of change. A moment in our lives that changed everything, forever. The beginning of not only our parenthood years, but also of more maturity, growth and learning to be more selfless. It also became a reminder of that pure joy and lightness that was possible in the weeks to follow after her birth when I was struggling through postpartum depression. I would look at it and so long for that joy and lightness to return to Joel's face and replace the heaviness as he did his best to help me through those dark days.

Now it is also a reminder to me that even in the darkest of times the joy will return. Joy really does come in the morning. It's happened time & time again for me and for us as a family.

So why am I blogging about it today? Because after its 7 year stay in my bathroom it was accidentally knocked off the ledge it sits on this morning & the frame is now broken. Why not get another frame? Because I feel like its time as my daily reminder is done. I still love it & it will join my other favorite photos in one of our albums, but its just time. Can't really fully explain why...just know its time to put it away.

No comments: